Gratitude in Business
Gratitude is a key to happiness. Gratitude combines the head with the heart to experience it. To be thankful, we acknowledge and recognise that someone or something kind has occurred. The positive emotions are felt when reflecting on the moment.
By remaining grateful, we are protected from taking things and people around for granted. We can also be protected from negative emotions such as envy,resentment, greed, and bitterness.
Over the past 20 years, there has been much research on the health benefits of gratitude. Here are some of the findings:
- The more grateful a person is the less likely they are to be depressed
- Grateful people are mindful consumers. They are less prone to advertisers messages of comparison and fear
- People who re aware of their blessings in life are more likely to have better relationships, more securely attached and less lonely
- Gratitude drives out toxic emotions of resentment, anger and envy
- There are clues that gratitude can add years to your life. The Nun Study published in 2001 found that those who have a grateful approach to life lived seven years longer than those with more negative disposition
- Gratitude is one of the positive emotions to drive out anxiousness and increase relaxation.
This not an exhaustive list.
Our culture of consumerism fosters ingratitude. Corporate marketing is designed for us to want the next product while leaving us feeling unhappy only to reach for the next fix.
There are lots of ways to increase Gratitude. The most important is counting our blessings and recording them in a journal. Being aware and thankful for all that we have in our lives increases our feelings kindness and compassion. We are more likely to repay the acts of kindness bestowed upon us.
Gratitude is more than being thankful and this is what Marvellous is about.
We offer a range of services to help you kickstart your Gratitude journey:
Happy work cultures allow people to be unique. Successful companies are the ones who innovate either steadily or big bang. Innovation stems from creativity. Creativity lives in happy people.
Karen Purves, the creator of B Marvellous, runs workshops, retreats and coaching sessions so people can B grateful, B Happy and relish Being themselves. Karen also shares her journey to help people have the courage to step through the fear and tread the path of happiness.
Contact Karen or the team to learn more about workshops, retreats and coaching for yourself, people you know, senior management teams or others who want to live their story. B Marvellous. B Grateful. B Happy.